Friday Recap….A Few Projects and Red-Tailed Hawks

by Oak Hill Studio

It’s been a fairly typical summer week here on Oak Hill.  My days have been filled with the usual tasks that keep me busy on most days.  Cleaning, cooking, washing clothes—nothing too exciting to report.  I did manage to round out a few of the days with some “medium-sized” projects that have been waiting for just the right time for me to delve in.  One was cleaning the garage–some sorting and getting rid of old or unused items, along with sweeping and some scrubbing.  It must have been the close proximity that drew me to the next job–somewhat of an eye-sore that I’ve been trying to ignore all summer.  There lies a  pathway that leads to the back yard on the other side of the garage.  It is a wet, shady area, and several years back I transplanted some ferns there, hoping they might flourish.  It took up until this year for them to really fill in the area, but by mid-summer, it was already looking overgrown and crabgrass was filling in between the little step stones.  It took some doing; much clipping and pulling and several wheel barrows dumped, but now it looks (pretty much) like what I had envisioned.

It felt good to get that done, and now I can actually enjoy the walk along that path instead of cringing.  (smile)  Same goes for the garage!

One last note- a bit of nature interest that somehow always sends both a thrill of delight through me and at the same time a sense of peace and comfort.  It is to me a gentle reminder of the power and sovereignty of God when some part of His creation comes unexpectedly to my attention.  I cherish those moments.

For the past week or so we have been noticing, both by ear and sight, a pair of red-tailed hawks in and around our yard.  Early this morning as I sat at my desk, I could hear their piercing cries, at times close by, then farther away.  A few times, I’ve seen them flying into or out of some of the larger trees in our yard.  We live in an ideal area with both pasture and timber surrounding our home, and I’m guessing they have a nest in one of the trees near the wood’s edge.  I will have to do more patient and quiet waiting and watching.  The young, called eyasses (pronounced “EYE-ess-ez”), are hatched in early May, and after 42-46 days, they begin to leave the nest for short flights.  The fledgling period lasts up to 10 weeks as they learn to fly and hunt.  One more thing I learned is that these hawks have lifelong mates which explains my first sighting of them both up in our backyard spruce tree.  I think I’ll also see if I can’t spot the fledglings in the nearby field.  It would be fun to see how they learn new skills.  We’ll see too if I might catch them on camera!